The D-Link xStack Storage™ Area Network (SAN) Array DSN-3400-20 is designed to provide a reliable network data storage solution for customers in entry-level and SMB segments. Utilizing a 10Gbit iSCSI System-on-a-Chip (SoC) solution that can handle over 80,000 I/Os per second and capable of supporting 15TB raw capacity using 1TB hard drives (and even higher capacity hard drives as they are introduced), the DSN-3400-20 Array can easily be implemented as nearline storage to supplement your primary IP network storage solution or be used as a basic backup and recovery device. This evolutionary advancement in performance is a testament to the tightly integrated xStack Storage architecture and is a sharp contrast to the discrete implementation of competing products.
iSCSI for IP Networks
SAN has been traditionally reserved for Fibre Channel networks until the recent introduction of iSCSI that extends this powerful yet simple centralized backend (behind server-based) storage system to IP networks. By utilizing existing Ethernet technology, the cost associated with separate host bus adapters and the per-Gigabyte cost for storage is significantly reduced. IP SANs based on iSCSI technology can leverage existing and familiar Ethernet standards to provide speeds of up to 1160 MB/s bandwidth.
High Performance iSCSI Interface
The DSN-3400-20 implements the industry’s first built-in, fully integrated 10GbE interface in the XStack Storage™ cost effective solution. Providing up to 1160MB/s bandwidth, it offers a high performance alternative to 4Gbps Fibre Channel.
System-on-a-Chip (SoC) Implementation
By utilizing a SoC design, the DSN-3400-20 SAN Array combines both networking and storage functions into a single specialized Application Specific Integrated Circuit (ASIC). The SoC solution combines 10Gbps iSCSI, TCP & IP offload, embedded processors, and a storage virtualization firmware stack onto a single chip. The tight integration of these functions eliminate interoperability, timing, and support issues found in competitive products that offer “discrete implementation” wherein a chassis, a main motherboard, a RAID storage controller, iSCSI software or controller, network interface cards, and operating system software are picked separately and then assembled. The DSN-3400-20 Array outperforms these discrete implementations and does so at a lower price point. It also delivers mission critical data quickly with state-of-the-art reliability.
RAID for Efficiency
The DSN-3400-20 SAN Array platform features 15 hot swappable Serial ATA (SATA) disk drive bays supporting 15TB raw capacity using 1TB hard drives (and even higher capacity hard drives as they are introduced) in RAID level 0, 1, 1+0 and 5 configurations. You can quickly deploy a SAN using inexpensive SATA disk drives and depending on your growing storage needs, you can simply add more drives as you go.
Embedded Centralized Storage Management
The embedded user-friendly IP-SAN Device Manager (IDM) provides comprehensive storage network management. Boasting a rich set of management features, this suite of utilities allows monitoring and control of your SAN via the SMI-S (Storage Management Initiative) command set. Combined with an embedded secure server, users will be able to remotely configure and monitor their SAN storage subsystems.
Advanced Management Features
The DSN-3400-20 SAN Array provides additional advanced features for efficient management of network storage and optimal performance.
Cache Management: Provides adaptive and persistent cache management. This provides write-back, write-through, write coalescing and multi-stream read-ahead on a volume basis. This optimizes cache utilization and performance in an application dependent manner.
Supports IEEE 802.1q VLAN tagging to segregate traffic into isolated zones for secure access and jumbo frames to improve the network throughput and reduce CPU overhead.
The DSN-3400-20 SAN Array has a storage management software stack that provides volume virtualization features by utilizing the concept of storage Extents. Extents are the fundamental building blocks used to enable features such as RAID, online capacity expansion and volume migration.
Drives of disimilar size can be used to create volumes. Growth can occur without volume migration or reconstruction. Single drives can contain multiple and divergent RAID technologies. Volume structure can also provide infrastructure for Snapshot copies.
RAID Levels 0, 1, 1+0 and 5 (striped sets, mirrored sets, striped mirrored sets, and parity sets). Online Capacity Expansion and RAID Level Migration: Volumes can be expanded and/or migrated to other RAID levels while online with minimal impact on users.
For example, a mirror volume of two drives can easily be converted to a parity volume of three or more drives while users continue to access this storage. Micro Rebuilds: Provides protection against unresponsive SATA commands by forcing a response within a preset time limit.
Whether you are looking for a low-cost block-based solution for data backup and recovery, replacement of some of your inefficient Direct-Attached Storage (DAS) drives, or provide cost-effective centralized storage for your servers, the DSN-3400-20 SAN Array has a solution for you.
Drive Interface Support
- SATA-II support
- 256MB to 512MB (512MB standard)
- 256MB to 4GB (512MB standard)
Battery Backup for Cache
- Standard (approximately 72 hours on full charge)
- Up to 1,160Mbytes per second Storage Capacity
- 15TB capacity with 1TB hard drives (supports higher capacity drives as they are introduced)
Operating Systems Support
- Windows® Vista® 32-bit & x64 (Ultimate & Enterprise) w/Built-in iSCSI initiator
- Windows Server 2003® 32-bit & x64 SP1 (Standard & Enterprise) w/v2.04 iSCSI initiator
- Windows Server 2003 R2 32-bit & x64 (Standard & Enterprise) w/v2.04 iSCSI initiator
- Windows XP Pro 32-bit & x64 w/v2.04 iSCSI initiator
- Windows 2000 Advanced Server w/v1.6 & v2.01 iSCSI initiator
- Fedora® Core® 6 & 7
- Red Hat® 7.3
- Red Hat 9
- Red Hat Enterprise® WS 3 update 4
- Red Hat Enterprise ES 4 update 4 & 5 32-bit & x64
- Red Hat Enterprise AS update 4
- SuSE® Professional 9.3 32-bit & x64
- Apple OS® X (10.4.7 | 10.4.8 | 10.4.10) w/Intel® and Power PC CPUs
Supported NICs, iSCSI Accelerators and iSCSI HBAs
- Intel® Pro 1000MT & XT [1GbE]
- Intel Pro 10000 CX4 [10GbE]
- Chelsio® S210X-SR-XFP (S2iO) [10GbE]
- Neterion® Xframe® II & Xframe E [10GbE]
- Alacritech® SES2104ET (drivers: SNP 22.214.171.1242 & 126.96.36.199)
- Alacritech SES2102ET (drivers: SNP 188.8.131.522 & 184.108.40.206)
- QLogic® 4010C
- QLogic 4052C
iSCSI Network Interface
- One (1) 10GbE Fiber (XFP transceiver sold separately)
- iSCSI Draft 20 compliant initiator
- 1,024 hosts
Access Control of Management
iSCSI/TCP/IP Full HW Offload
Jumbo Frames Support
LAG Support (Link Aggregation)
- Not Applicable
- Up to eight (8). 1-to-1 mapping between IP subnet and VLAN. Multiple VLANs per physical port with VLAN tag
- Single- Integrated in ASIC
- RAID Levels 0, 1, 1+0 and 5 (Striped sets, mirrored sets, striped mirrored sets and parity sets)
- 1,024 Virtual Volumes (256 accessible per initiator)
Online Capacity Expansion
Hot Swappable Drives
Instant Volume Access
Free Space Defragmentation
Auto-Detection Failed Drive
Auto-Rebuild Spare Drive
Drive Roaming in Power Off (configured drives are not bay-specific)
Embedded IP-Based Management GUI
- Create, manage, expand and monitor storage pool, volumes and RAID
- Event manager to view and persist events
Firmware Field Upgradeable
SMI-S Version 1.1
- Redundant 3U 2+1 760 Watt
- 90-264 VAC (auto-switching)
- 47-63 Hz
- 20A Maximum at 90VAC and 10A Maximum at 264VAC (maximum amps vs. voltage varies linearly throughout this voltage range)
Power Factor Correction
- 95%@110V, Full load
- 570W (full configuration)
- 2000 BTU / hour (full configuration)
- 32 to 104 degrees F / 0 to 40 degrees C
- -4 to 158 degrees F / -20 to 70 degrees C
- 20 to 90% non-condensing
- 10 to 95% non-condensing
- 3U industry-standard 19-inch rack
- 5.2 inches / 13.3 centimeters
- 17.25 inches / 43.8 centimeters
- 22.5 inches / 57.1 centimeters
- 73 pounds / 33 kilograms (full configuration)
- CE Class A, FCC Class A, C-Tick Class A, VCCI Class A
- CSA 60950-1, UL60950-1, IEC 60950-1, EN 60950-1
- 3 Years on DSN-3400 (manufacturers warranty on hard drives)
- 1 year 9 hours per day / 5 days per week Technical Support
- xStack 1x10GbE iSCSI SAN Array, 15 Bays, 3U, w/o Drives, with Trays
- xStack 1x10GbE iSCSI SAN Array, 15 Bays, 3U, w/o Drives, w/o Trays
- xStack 8x1GbE iSCSI SAN Array, 15 Bays, 3U, w/o Drives, with Trays
- xStack 8x1GbE iSCSI SAN Array, 15 Bays, 3U, w/o Drives, w/o Trays
- 400GB SATA-2 Hard Disk Drive + Hot Swap Tray
- 500GB SATA-2 Hard Disk Drive + Hot Swap Tray
- 750GB SATA-2 Hard Disk Drive + Hot Swap Tray
All references to speed are for comparison purposes only. Product specifications, size and shape are subject to change without notice, and actual product appearance may differ from that depicted herein.